General Merchandise Manager, Brighton
The KILLSTAR brand is an invitation for people to explore, discover, and become who they are. We help affirm this invitation by creating an inclusive, supportive environment where our team members are embraced exactly as they are.
We are looking for an experienced General Merchandise Manager who will be responsible for creating an exciting and timely product assortment for our omni-channel business that meets or exceeds the sales volume and profits for the business. In this role, you will execute the vision of the Leadership Team and intuitively respond to customer feedback, market trends and sales performance as well as being responsible for the success of the business and are expected to use your fashion intuition to direct the assortment. If this sounds like you, please read on!
What You’ll Do:
- Analyse weekly and monthly sales, stock and on-order with the goal of optimising sales and minimising markdowns.
- Oversee the OTB and manage the process with the merchandising and wholesale teams to adjust where necessary to ensure that sales and margin are optimised by class.
- Manage styles to the plan, ensuring that each item is a winner and that the assortment is properly balanced across looks, silhouettes, fabrics, patterns,colour, price points, etc., taking the correct inventory position with key items and fringe and/or newness.
- Work with Design, Product Development, Production to manage the timeline on all product development.
- Ensure that vendor relations are optimal i.e., getting the best possible prices, quality and service levels with an appropriate level of “partnership” from the Market.
- Work with the CEO and Head of Product team on a regular, formalised basis to ensure the unity and appropriateness of the assortments.
- Partner with Marketing to ensure omni-channel synergy and Buy intent alignment.
- Identify marketing and promotional opportunities for all categories of merchandise and contribute to the development of the marketing, packaging and promotional plans – partnering with, and facilitating for the Creative team.
- Collaborating with the marketing team to create strong product narratives that resonate with our customer and drive traffic.
Who You Are:
- Change Agent: you demonstrate that sustainability, combined with a strong design agenda, is the only way forward and want to lead the change within the fashion industry.
- Knowledgeable about lifestyle production methods, manufacturing, processes, and costing procedures including market-specific legal requirements in distribution and supply
- An Agile Learner: you learn quickly when something changes, you see failure as an opportunity, and you easily understand underlying structures and intentions.
- Creative: you’re full of new and unique ideas, easily make connections among previously unrelated ideas, and others view you as original and highly valuable when brainstorming.
- Customer Focused: you’re constantly looking for ways to improve the experiences of internal and external customers, including your team
- Process Oriented: you are good at figuring out what it takes to get something done, knowing what to measure and how to measure it
- Analytical: you can look at numbers all day, and help them make sense to others; you take a data-driven approach to problem-solving and management.
- Reliable Communicator: you are good about keeping people updated about changes, and your written and verbal communication is clear and concise.
Collaborative Negotiator: you can negotiate skillfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups, settle differences with minimum noise, and win concessions while empowering relationships.
Your Experience Includes:
- The ability to recognize a new trend, item, look, and product early in its lifecycle.
- The ability to understand the magnitude of an opportunity and to translate that insight into an assortment and buy. Creative thinking is an asset in recognizing and managing in changing paradigms.
- The ability to make the transition from strategic (conceptual and planning) to execution. Financial acumen and the ability to manipulate numbers are critical in achieving the tactical objectives.
- The ability to develop and communicate a vision of the business that translates into bottom line performance.
- The ability to delegate and direct the daily activities of the buyers and provide direction to the team.
- Personal skills to lead, develop and coach people and the recognition that building a team is critical to the Company’s success.
- The ability to develop partnerships with other functional heads.
- The ability to collect, assimilate, analyze, package and present information to Leadership in a way that permits them to make an informed decision and take measurable action.
Bonus If You:
- Have a personal affinity or connection to the alternative fashion or lifestyle communities.
- Have experience working as part of an on-site and global product team.
Work Hours and Location:
This role will be performed from our Brighton Studio on a hybrid working arrangement; consisting of working from our studio and working remotely.
This role is a full-time position of 37.5 hours, with hours worked between 08:00am – 06:00pm, Monday through to Friday.
Does this sound like you?
KILLSTAR is committed to a world where what makes us different makes us strong. We are a proud equal opportunity employer and we back that up with a “come as you are” culture that is welcoming, inclusive, and safe. If you can see yourself being successful and excited in this role, we want to hear from you.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law.