Design Manager, Brighton
The KILLSTAR brand is an invitation for people to explore, discover, and become who they are. We help affirm this invitation by creating an inclusive, supportive environment where our team members are embraced exactly as they are.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about alternative design and lifestyle, has extensive experience within the commercial fashion environment, and comprehensive knowledge of the product lifecycle, from initial concept through to market. Our ideal new team member is fashion forward, understands the importance of the consumer experience and thrives on implementing change management initiatives in an attempt to enhance, improve and streamline new and existing processes and functions.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop, communicate, and establish the management structure to deliver an inspiring vision for the future.
- Take responsibility for driving the design critical path in line with PD, marketing and production.
- Demonstrate an in-depth, customer focused knowledge of the market and trends, and a comprehensive understanding of the brands target audience.
- Provide strong and consistent product direction and handwriting.
- Implement best practices throughout the design process..
- Work to departmental deadlines to produce seasonal and in season trend packs for use throughout the business.
- Identify relevant trends early including; focused key items for the season, volume lines, colour palettes and print direction; lead the design team in execution of these trends from initial concept to technical handover
- Develop direct reports to ensure they are continually progressing.
- Introduce artistic innovation into every product, thinking of new ways to create unique designs that have meaningful impacts on our customers.
- Monitor the design team’s overall service and teamwork daily, identifying and implementing strategies to increase service delivery and productivity.
Who You Are:
- Collaborative Negotiator: you can negotiate skillfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups, settle differences with minimum noise, and win concessions while empowering relationships.
- Organized: you can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal, and marshal resources effectively to deliver results.
- An Agile Learner: you learn quickly when something changes, you see failure as an opportunity, and you easily understand underlying structures and intentions.
- Solid Decision-Maker; your solutions and suggestions are based on wisdom, critical thinking, experience, and sound judgment.
- Compassionate Leader: you are genuinely interested in the success of others, a champion for their goals, offering appreciation and feedback; you’re viewed as approachable and fair.
- Reliable Communicator: you are good about keeping people updated about changes, and your written and verbal communication is clear and concise.
- Problem-Solver: you geek out on simplifying complexity, discovering hidden answers, rooting out hidden problems, and finding solutions.
- Knowledgeable about technical specification standards, garment construction, international production methods, and critical path management
Your Experience Includes:
- 2+ years in a similar role
- Building, leading, developing, and coaching diverse teams.
- Working across multiple product channels.
- Fluency in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
Bonus If You’ve Got:
- A personal affinity for the alternative community and fashion.
- Experience managing employees and freelancers both onsite and remotely.
Work Hours and Location
This role must be performed in the Brighton office; some remote working days may be available as an exception. Domestic and international travel may be required.
This role is a full time, salaried position with a time commitment of at least 40 hours per week.
How to Apply
If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you! You may use this link to apply: https://form.jotform.com/211725042480043
BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, veterans, neurodivergent, and disabled individuals are encouraged to apply. KILLSTAR is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law.