Accounting Manager, Europe
The KILLSTAR brand is an invitation for people to explore, discover, and become who they are. We help affirm this invitation by creating an inclusive, supportive environment where our team members are embraced exactly as they are.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about accounting, and ready to learn and grow in a team environment. In this role, you’ll be responsible for the European Accounting function, including close oversight of accounting in our distribution facility in Berlin, Germany. If this sounds like you, please read on!
What You’ll Do:
- Manage the month-end close ensuring the compliance with the GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting principles) and Company’s rules
- Hire, train, coach, and develop a small team
- Manage daily operations of the accounting team for the area in charge, including General Ledger, Accounts Receivable, Fixed Assets, etc.
- Prepare, improve, and present the month-end calendar for approval
- Book and review journal entries to the general and subsidiary ledgers to assure accuracy and compliance with the company’s and established accounting principles.
- Control and approve all changes to the chart of accounts.
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year and year-end closing of the general ledger including review and approval of journal entries prepared by accounting team
- Maintain Netsuite financial system and backup controls. Test new functionality in the system, summarize the new functional requirements and existing bugs/issues and present solutions
- Develop and maintain internal control tools and procedures promoting the sound internal control environment
- Assist with consolidation of financial statements and preparation of interim, year-end, and comparative financial statements and reports
- Prepare required financial and statutory reports
- Review and sign off monthly bank and GL accounts reconciliation schedules. Verify accuracy of accounting records and resolve questions or problems detected during reconciliation
- Provide required supports for the interim and year-end financial audit and prepare schedules and documents for independent (third-party) auditors
Who You Are:
- Knowledgeable regarding core accounting principles and practices including monthly closing procedures and the full accounting cycle, general ledger, payables, receivables, fixed assets, cost accounting
- Inspiring: the people you work with are motivated to do their best, and you inspire others by inviting their input, sharing ownership and visibility, and ensuring that everyone on your direct and extended teams are valued for their contributions
- Reliable Communicator: you are good about keeping people updated about changes, and your written and verbal communication is clear and concise.
- Collaborative Negotiator: you can negotiate skillfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups, settle differences with minimum noise, and win concessions while empowering relationships.
- Organized: you can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal, and marshal resources effectively to deliver results.
- Solid Decision-Maker: your solutions and suggestions are based on wisdom, critical thinking, experience, and sound judgment.
- Analytical: you can look at numbers all day, and help them make sense to others; you take a data-driven approach to problem-solving and management.
- Agile: you're future-oriented; you can anticipate future trends, have broad knowledge and perspective in your area of expertise, and you're skilled at getting things done through formal channels and informal networks.
- Detail-Oriented: you pride yourself on having every i dotted and every t crossed, never missing an important fact, figure, or detail.
Process-Oriented; you’re good at figuring out what it takes to get something done, knowing what to measure and how to measure it
Your Experience Includes:
- 7+ years of extensive accounting experience in private industry
- Managing an ERP / Financial system
- Leading a small team
Bonus If You’ve:
- Demonstrated working proficiency in English and German
- Worked with Netsuite and/or Shopify
- Worked in a DTC (direct-to-consumer), distribution, manufacturing, or remote environment
- Managed Budgeting, departmental, cost center reports
- Worked in a small to medium sized company, with high growth or turnaround company tenure
- Earned a relevant accounting designation or are working towards it
Work Location and Travel
This position can be successfully performed remotely anywhere in the UK or Germany, or in one of our offices in Scotland (Glasgow), England (Brighton), or Germany (Berlin).
Some domestic and international travel may be required periodically.
Does this sound like you?
KILLSTAR is committed to a world where what makes us different makes us strong. We are a proud equal opportunity employer and we back that up with a “come as you are” culture that is welcoming, inclusive, and safe. If you can see yourself being successful and excited in this role, we want to hear from you.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law.